Monday, December 21, 2009

quiet before the storm

There is quite a lot I could and should be doing right now, but this morning and much of this afternoon, already, it has become apparent that I seriously need more down time.

I'll start making cookies later.

My famous sugar cookies and gingerbread mini-men get doled out to neighbors and random people like teachers and bus drivers, and brought to my family up north every year. This year we're not heading north, and I do realize that if I make them in the next 36 hours, they'll be late for christmas if I send them, but I'm planning to do so anyway. Heck, I bought the tin.

S is pleading Santa's case for chocolate chip this year, insisting repeatedly that chocolate chip cookies are Santa's favorite. We've always given Santa the sugar and ginger cookies. Trust me, Santa loves those.

S has been informed in the past six months about the whole Santa business that shall go undivulged here in case my savvy toddler goes archival in the next five years or so. But he insists he still wants to believe even though he knows the deal.

He's eleven after all, and the magic of Christmas is in the believing, regardless. I believe, do you?

Do not be fooled into believing that I am a domestic goddess by this post, however. I mean, I am domestic, and I am a goddess, but by no means do I have a spotless house and an A-frame skirt covered by a contrapuntally colored apron. I just love to bake cookies.

Although, yesterday I handed the recipe book to K to make snickerdoodles for his Chorus class and Biology's 'spontaneous cultural gatherings' as holiday parties are forbidden at his high school. Don't you love how his teachers are teaching him to be subversive? I do. I also love that I passed off baking for his classes to him.

4 comments:

  1. I believe, too, Cathy. I think it's a mark of what a special individual S is that he wants to believe too. Isn't that much of what magic is about, after all? Willing oneself to believe. When I was growing up, my mom would play a recording (on LP! Yep, that dates me!) of Yes Virginia, there Is a Santa Claus. It still makes me cry to hear that, but it is profoundly true.

    Merry Christmas to you and yours. May it be full of magic!

    ReplyDelete
  2. and to you and yours as well!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the subversive holiday party! Merry Christmas, Cath!

    ReplyDelete

I love comments and I answer back, too. Please understand that your comments are moderated before posting for appropriate content (think PG-13) and to weed out spam. Let's talk!