Monday, November 22, 2010

shifting back into focus

Nano is obviously a bust for me, again, this year.

It's okay though, because I got the start of something that just needs a better catalyst.  I ruminate, I go elsewhere in my writing, and eventually it may return with the catalyst.  It's time to let go for the time being at least, if not for good.  I do still like my characters a lot.  If they don't live in this book, they may show up elsewhere.  I really like the main character's best friend, and the dynamic between them. 

So I return to the original manuscript -  the one I've been avoiding editing the last thirty pages of since well before Nano.  Sure, I have plenty going on in my life to 'distract from the writing' as we say, but the fact remains, I want to sell this book.  I believe in it.  My trouble is I need to believe in myself.

While it has taken me years to write it, I always believed in it, but now I am at the point where I just need to finish prepping it for the real world.  For those other people to read it - the professionals. This is where it gets tricky, because I really don't handle rejection well.  Rejection cuts like a knife.  And it has very little to do with writing.  This is something I've dealt with in pretty much all areas of life.

But I'm a smart girl.  I can reason it out and move forward.  I can do what I need to, and right now, that is edit.

2 comments:

  1. Indeed, rejection can hard to take. It's hard to see a part of you, something that you've crafted and honed and fought with and loved, be read by critical eyes and essentially cut down a bit. In my limited experience, though, agents are kind in what they have to say. I haven't yet run into the sort that have really hurt my feelings - although I'm sure I'll experience that, at some point. But I think most are constructive in their critique, and really want to help. Hopefully this small fact will help you overcome some of the reservation you feel in having another set of eyes reading your MS.

    In any case, rejection is all a part of the game, as you know. Actually, rejection letters sometimes taste sweet to me, b/c it means that I'm at this next stage - that it's possible someone might read it, and like it. And that, at least SOMEONE is reading it even if they don't like it so much.

    Remember that there are so many reasons for rejection. It could be that the agent has just added on a client with a similar concept. It could be that the MS isn't really what the agent wants to take on right now, in terms of genre. It could be simply that it didn't sing to the agent. But that may not have anything to do with the writing itself - fiction is so subjective, and often agents will say that although it wasn't for them, they suspect it would be good for another.

    Anyway, that's the last of my small address on rejection - something that's exceptionally close to my heart, right now. :~) Keep on going, sister. xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  2. thanks for that, mary. love to you.

    ReplyDelete

I love comments and I answer back, too. Please understand that your comments are moderated before posting for appropriate content (think PG-13) and to weed out spam. Let's talk!