Wednesday, July 1, 2009

Sympathy a la Asperger's Syndrome

The other day, S, upon seeing a scrape/bruise on my foot incurred over the weekend during my yard work visit to the dump and a run in with Honey's car door, exclaimed,

"The sight of that alone broke my heart into a million pieces then those pieces exploded into a million pieces then those exploded into a million pieces so that it must be powder by now."

I do love him. He is very clever is expressing empathy in an unexpected ways, which is also quite unexpected for a person with a syndrome that specifically states difficulty in expressing empathy for others. Of course, having the visual of an actual wound probably helped. I bet he would have really enjoyed watching it bleed.

2 comments:

  1. That is gorgeous, actually. The words, not the wound!

    ReplyDelete
  2. thanks, jen. i thought so, too.

    ReplyDelete

I love comments and I answer back, too. Please understand that your comments are moderated before posting for appropriate content (think PG-13) and to weed out spam. Let's talk!