Tuesday, October 6, 2009

S sends a Letter

I often wonder how S occupies himself when I am at church with the other two kids, and Honey is mowing the lawn or taking care of other stuff around the house. S doesn't come with us because he gets too sensory overloaded and I would like to enjoy the service rather than attend to redirecting him when he doesn't want to be there. It makes for an unpleasant day all around. This is a battle I choose not to fight. I believe I have chosen well. Of course I rethink this decision every week, ask him again if he'd like to join us, then leave well enough alone.

I was pleasantly surprised by an excited attack from S when I returned this Sunday. He was sealing an envelope, readying to send it off to Toho Studios. Together, we looked up their address online, which took a bit more of a search than anticipated. He had typed it up and translated from English to Japanese using Babelfish (I wonder how legible that letter really is), drawn characters, given them bios, and basically given them the plot idea and story arc for his big monster movie idea. He has been bugging me to move to Japan so he can work at Toho Studios, the makers of Godzilla movies, and get them to make his movie since he was about four years old. He's eleven now. He is the living definition of persistence.

Well, being Sunday, of course the letter was not removed by the mail carrier. He kept checking the mailbox. At one point, he came back in carrying his prized letter, and demanded that we needed to get in the car right now and drive it to the post office. I did eventually get through to him, that whether it was in the blue box in front of the post office or in our mailbox, the letter was not going to start its journey to Japan until Monday afternoon.

Yesterday, he woke up, ran down the stairs at six a.m. per usual, but this time, out the front door to check and see, yes in fact, the letter was still in the mailbox.

By the time this posts, that letter will have started its journey to Tokyo, but it will not be soon enough for S. It's easy to see that he feels he is one step closer to truly making his own giant monster movie - in Japan.

Good luck, kiddo. It's a great idea.


I copied the letter and pictures he drew in the scanner, and sealed the original in another envelope, dated it, had him sign it and I signed it as a witness, just in case. It really is a good idea and very well thought out, as he's had many years to think about what he'd like to see on the big screen.

2 comments:

  1. One day, when he is a famous filmmaker, you can pull the scanned copy of the letter out for all to see.

    ReplyDelete

I love comments and I answer back, too. Please understand that your comments are moderated before posting for appropriate content (think PG-13) and to weed out spam. Let's talk!