Monday, May 25, 2009

Groucho Marx

The other day, I spoke with my twenty years and running friend back in Boston, Joe. Every so often, when I do, I can’t help but think of Groucho Marx. Groucho has always guaranteed a laugh from us both. Even in his ridiculous statements, the grain of truth is liable to get stuck in a tooth.

So in the interest of making me shut up upon occasion, enjoy some Groucho-isms:


Before I speak, I have something important to say.

Humor is reason gone mad.
I, not events, have the power to make me happy or unhappy today. I can choose which it shall be. Yesterday is dead, tomorrow hasn't arrived yet. I have just one day, today, and I'm going to be happy in it.

One morning I shot an elephant in my pajamas. How he got into my pajamas I'll never know.





Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.



And last, but certainly not least, the following always puts a smile on my face for days and days, especially when I can find someone with whom to sing it aloud. Watching it again also reminded me of my lifelong infatuation with Harpo. How can anyone not love Harpo?! Harpo has a stellar autobiography, by the way: Harpo Speaks.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love comments and I answer back, too. Please understand that your comments are moderated before posting for appropriate content (think PG-13) and to weed out spam. Let's talk!