Monday, June 15, 2009

On writing or editing

After finishing the basic plot and really the book from beginning to end, I am giving it a little nap before I head into Draft 2, The Edits.

I just wish I could nap, too. but I can’t. All I keep thinking is how to fill in that middle part that feels like a gaping hole where it’s heart should be.


But it’s just because I don’t know how to adjust a giant telescope. And what I’m finding out about them online is not helping. And how do astronomers talk to each other anyway? Do they jump up and down and cheer when they call each other across continents for confirmations of sightings? Or do they act all like, “Um, hello, George? Yes, it’s me Donald. Just wondering if you happened to see that little something over in the right lower quadrant heading your way…”

In any respect, I think I can make up a lot of the scene, but it really hinges on the names of the knobs to twiddle and what they actually do. I never realized there were so many different types of giant telescopes out there. I find myself thinking of old double lensed pirate scopes blown up and under a round roof on a mountain top, peering up into a deep blue night full of millions of twinklies.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love comments and I answer back, too. Please understand that your comments are moderated before posting for appropriate content (think PG-13) and to weed out spam. Let's talk!