Thursday, April 21, 2011

conquer

Grandma is taking Toots to Busch Gardens with her cousins who are visiting in Virginia Beach. The boys are in school and Honey is at work. It takes a lot of work to have an empty house around here, but I have one for a few hours today.

I shall edit. This chapter will not get the better of me. I wrote it, I rewrote it a couple of times, and will finish it again today and move forward. It's these sticking points and getting caught in the minutia that make the joy of writing more like a chore.

 I love writing. I can't live without it. But sometimes, it can be the most frustrating thing in the world.

I feel the same way about it as I do my kids. Love with all of my heart, but sometimes, I just don't know what to do. So after trying a bit too hard last week, I let it go for a handful of days. Today I will have fresh eyes, see a new way out, crunch the details down, extricate some unnecessary dialogue, and hopefully make it gel with what has gone before, and what follows.

Because what follows is really good.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love comments and I answer back, too. Please understand that your comments are moderated before posting for appropriate content (think PG-13) and to weed out spam. Let's talk!