Saturday, November 7, 2009

an update on the progress or not of my nano novel

Life happens,
doctors happen,
and this past week, a lot of doctor appointments happened and other sundry bits of attending to sick self, sick kids, etc. So in the interest of pediatrics, Nanowrimo fell somewhat behind and has been having trouble catching back up. also, I really got walloped by news of Brother Blue passing away.

Nanowrimo is an excellent tool to get yourself writing if you call yourself a writer but don't find yourself doing much of it. It's an excellent jumpstart, you feel inspired, and even if you don't, you push to meet that 1667 words per diem minimum. But once you fall behind, it becomes really hard to scramble. but I figured out a a few little secrets today:

1. I don't have to write 1667 words per day.

2. But it works a heck of a lot better if I do. Otherwise I'm playing a deceitful game of catch-up - which is really very much like swimming against the riptide during hurricane season.

3. Nanowrimo becomes an obsession. Possibly a very unhealthy obsession. I sat in the pediatrics office for six hours on Wednesday thinking not so much of my kids and their various stages of this long, non-h1n1 flu we've had, but of how I could be writing instead of sitting in this waiting room, exam room, phlebotomy department, radiology department because when I took my daughter to the hospital the previous week, they didn't run all the tests they now had to run during Nanowrimo. The boys were with me, too for their wellness appointments, etc, vaccines, etc. I was barely concerned, except when C was crying from getting stuck with a needle for bloodwork or having a big loud machine shoot light boxes all over her leg and hips, while mommy wore a big lead apron. Nano becomes unhealthy when your spouse and you are sitting right next to each other all night long on separate computers not saying a word to each other until he does, and you get annoyed that he's interrupting your train of thought, but more importantly, your word count. It becomes an obsession when every time your toddler wanders over and whines and pulls to be on your lap, you act like it's the end of the world because you can't finish your train of thought or your word count. Same with the preteen mom-mom-momming in your ear and poking you in the arm or the teen mom-mom-momming you on the cellphone until you realize in a half-attention moment you allowed him to sleep over someone's dad's house and you don't even know where he lives, because you were still typing when he was asking and you just wanted him off the phone.

4. But Nanowrimo is important, because you will write a novel in thirty days, whether you make the word count or not, and you will have another manuscript to edit and eventually shop with the other one, because you now can market it to agents as a series of sorts....and you will have two books at the end of this! And at the end of this, you'll pay better attention to your spouse and your kids and yourself for that matter, and to the fact that maybe the sun is in fact shining outside and oh, yea, there's an outside.....

5. I don't have to write the parts in the order in which they come chronologically, but in the order in which they travel through my bleeding brain.

6. Ok that's more than a few things, but I also figured out it is much better to write about what you know than have to research about something for a novel you're trying to write in thirty days. Set it in a country you've been to, and forget about wildlife, unless of course, it has become a central theme in the book....

2 comments:

  1. I've never attempted NaNoWriMo. I'm about 2/3 of the way through the first (very rough) draft of a novel I'm writing, but I started it over a year ago. That being said, I did write a nonfiction book and see it published during that same year, so at least I've proven I can juggle multiple projects at once.

    ReplyDelete
  2. in some ways, fiction is harder, just in trusting self and having good readers to confer with, who you can trust.

    i finally found a writing group down here that really seems a good fit. that helps alot.

    ReplyDelete

I love comments and I answer back, too. Please understand that your comments are moderated before posting for appropriate content (think PG-13) and to weed out spam. Let's talk!